Monday, March 16, 2009
Marvelous Monday~Fix and Freeze: How To
Last month, I started a "Fix and Freeze" club. This is a get-together with friends where you cook meals to put in your freezer for nights when you don't have time to stand over the stove. It also saves the budget. We haven't gone out to eat nearly as much because there are meals ready to cook in the freezer! We had so much fun and were so productive. I wanted to pass along the idea to all of you! Most of the first steps can be done through email.
1. Pick your cooks/friends. Remember there is such a thing as "too many cooks in the kitchen", so try to keep it small.
2. Decide on a location. We picked my friend Jennifer's place because she has a huge kitchen.
3. Decide on a day. (we did ours on a Saturday so our hubby's could watch our kids, but if you have your kids around, put them to work and make it fun for them too!)
4. Decide on your meals. (I will list some of the best tried and true freezer recipes) Brainstorm together with your friends about what you want to cook. It's best to do "tried and true" recipes for this. And most importantly ones that freeze well.
5. Make a grocery list. (with your coupons in mind of course) Put EVERYTHING on the list. Don't forget you'll need plenty of freezer containers (foil ones work the best) and you also will need very sturdy ziploc bags or containers for sauces or soups.
6. Go grocery shopping. (divide the list evenly. We were each in charge of our own MAIN ingredients such as meat and spaghetti sauce). We each went shopping separately.
7. Plan your day's schedule. This is important. Some things take a while to cook for example; crockpot bbq chicken. So you would want to start that FIRST THING.
*Our schedule looked a little something like this:
8:00 - arrive and organize ingredients
8:30 - start the crockpot bbq chicken
9:00 - start chili - Tandy
9:30 - boil chicken for enchiladas - Jennifer
9:30 - make dough for wheat rolls - Angela
*We had a FULL day. We finished up around 5:00. But here's everything we accomplished:
Crockpot BBQ Chicken
Lemon Layer Cake
Here's what turned out the best:
Crockpot BBQ Chicken -
4-5 Chicken Breasts
1/2 bottle KC Masterpiece original recipe BBQ sauce
1/2 can coke
2 TBS apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 T mustard
1 T worch. sauce
**Place all in crockpot and cook on high 4-5 hours. As it gets near the end, shred with fork. Serve on rolls or by itself. It's also really good in a quesadilla! For my family this recipe is enough for 2 meals for my family, so I divide it. This freezes so well!
We had so much fun cooking together. The kitchen was a MESS. Flour was flying and sauces were boiling over, but we laughed ALL day. My family had really enjoyed the fruit of our labor. I have more time to spend with them. And the meals are really good! So, get your friends, grab your aprons and "Fix and Freeze!"