Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Train Up Tuesday: Encouragement for Your Journey as “Mom”


Hey sisters,

I read a devotional the day I’m writing this (Monday) and thought of you, other moms striving to train in the right way.

I’m sure, if you are like me, you have those days (ahem...or weeks?) that you feel like you’ve blown it as a mom. Either you’ve lost it with the kiddos and have been to harsh on them, or you’ve been too slack for too long. Maybe you haven’t lived up to all the ideas that you are reading on blogs of those “perfect moms who seem to have it all together” (guess what, they aren’t living up to it all the time either...trust me!). Perhaps you feel like you aren’t quite modeling that “Proverbs 31” woman and wonder if you’ve not only let your family down but maybe God, too. (Or maybe I’m the only one that ever feels that way.)

In any case, I want to share the devotional I read from “Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence” by Sarah Young:

"I LOVE YOU regardless of how well you are performing. Sometimes you feel uneasy, wondering if you are doing enough to be worthy of My Love. No matter how exemplary your behavior, the answer to that question will always be no. Your performance and My Love are totally different issues which you need to sort out. I love you with an everlasting Love that flows out from eternity without limits or conditions. I have clothed you in My robe of righteousness, and this is an eternal transaction: Nothing and no one can reverse it. Therefore, your accomplishment as a Christian has no bearing on My Love for you. Even your ability to assess how well you are doing on a given day is flawed. Your limited human perspective and the condition of your body, with its mercurial variations, distort evaluations.

"Bring your performance anxiety to Me, and receive in its place My unfailing Love. Try to stay conscious of My loving Presence with you in all that you do, and I will direct your steps."

Jeremiah 31:3; Isaiah 61:10; Psalm 31:16; Psalm 107:8


Sister, remember He loves you even when you fall short of what we consider the standard of being a perfect, godly mother (and just a hunch, but I’ll bet your kids do to ;-)

Keep striving to reach for what is right and true, but remember to rely on Christ’s strength and remember His love is unconditional.

Much love,

Ashlie

4 comments:

Krafty Christy said...

That's a great post Ashlie. I know I struggle with this almost constantly. Thanks.

AmyA said...

I have really enjoying this same devotional book this year - what a treasure!

Ashlie Miller said...

So glad it helped you ladies. I wasn't sure about posting it (like one should ever doubt posting encouragement?). Amy, this really is a great devo book, isn't it!

Viv said...

SO needed this- actually need to hear this on a daily basis! Thank you!