Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Good Works

As human beings we tend to personalize our works. What I mean is that we assign an anticipated outcome or and expected response from those that are recipients of our efforts. Often the results do not align with our hopes and we find ourselves defeated, drug down and frustrated.

For example a simple dinner can become a totally disappointment. We spend the time lovingly shopping for the food, planning the meal and getting it out on the table so our hungry children and husbands can delight in our culinary skills. The first response from my six year old is "yuck, I don't like this!". Ok..I personalize it! Yes, this is a "great" teachable moment BUT I feel a little discouraged.

The Bible teaches us that we are God's workman, created in Christ Jesus for good works that God prepared in advance for us to do (paraphrase Ephesians 2:10). It is key to see that God prepared the works for us to do but He doesn't say anything about the results. It is time for us to focus in our responsibility and let God be the results man. We are the tool, He is the power that moves and directs us. Our response to God is our choice. We are are called to wake up and say "your will not mine". Nothing we do is of any lasting value when it is done of our own strength and design. It changed my life when I realized I was creating my own works and not being available for what God wanted me to be doing. His Word tells us to "be still". Well that is not going to get the dishes done, the bills paid and this body looking like it did when I was 18! The point is when we are available to God and His plan there will be enough time to do the job He has called you and me to do. If you are out of time you probably are not living on God's schedule.

I want to be clear that works have NOTHING to do with eternal salvation (going to heaven). Salvation is a free gift that is by faith alone (Eph 2:8-9). Our works are designed for God to be glorified in and through us! Our faith cannot be based on a human action but on the power of God working in us (1 Cor 2:5).

The challenge to wives and mothers... work as working for the Lord and don't personalize the response. 1 Thess 5:16, "Be joyful always, pray continually, in EVERYTHING give thanks for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." May your joy be contagious and the Spirit of God fill your homes and marriages with love, joy peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control!

Growing up but letting go of my will,
Annie

3 comments:

Ashlie Miller said...

Good word! Imagine if Jeremiah would have personalized the work he was told to do....the response and results he received was certainly enough to render a feeling of defeat!

Annie Mendrala said...

Yeah, think about Moses... all the way to the promised land and only to die just before going in! Plus, he had to deal with a bunch of whining Isrealites day and night. I am convicted :)

Unknown said...

WOW...does that hit home or what!? I just stumbled along this blog and LOVE it! My 18 mos old is napping while I'm playing on the computer. Thank you for the encouragement!