Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Stay-at-Home Saturday: How Condensed Soup Can Change Your Life

WAIT! Before you blow off this post, will you trust me? It isn't all about the joys of cream of chicken soup, I promise.

One of the greatest joys I have had as a homemaker is finding small ways to change someone else's life. That may seem a little strange, as I spend most of my time in my home with my 2 kiddos. However, being at home doesn't confine the ways I can bless others; it just encourages me to be creative with it. If you are feeling a little stuck at home, feeling like you aren't making a difference (we've ALL had days/weeks/months like that!), may I suggest a small way you can help others in need?

Thanks to couponing and shopping the sales, I am able to walk away from the grocery store almost every week with items I haven't paid for. Many times I get items that I won't use in my own kitchen. That's where the excitement of it all comes in. I have a bag in my coat closet that I fill up with just such items, and when that bag gets full, I take it to my church's food bank. Presto! I've just made a difference. Toothbrushes, cereal, pasta sauce, blood glucose monitors (seriously!) - I've donated it all. This week I combined a sale and 2 coupons to get 4 cans of high-priced condensed chicken soup for $0.60 each. I will keep two and donate two.

I challenge you to set up a paper bag in your pantry/garage/trunk/coat closet to begin collecting items for a local food bank. Even if you don't choose to coupon, you can still set the goal of buying one item each week that you can donate. Even if you buy a $1 can of sliced peaches, someone out there needs it and can use it. Start small and I promise you that you will be excited to watch your "stash" grow!

And now for the joys of condensed soup . . .

Why not save some $$ and make your own? (I realize that I just told you I bought 4 cans, but hey, I go through a lot of condensed soup!) My goal is to make batches of it and freeze in can-size proportions. However, if I'm ever stuck without it, I'll have my back-up cans! And you know what the best part is? There are no yucky little squares of dark meat chicken!

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
Courtesy of http://www.tammysrecipes.com/

Yield: 3 cups (about 2 cans)

1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt (or less, taste to test)
1/4 tsp. parsley
dash of paprika
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup flour

1. In a medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 c. milk, and the seasonings for a minute or two.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.

Love,
Amy

4 comments:

The Kaysers said...

I am going to try this recipe, because I have some meals that require it as an ingredient, but I hate the msg, etc in the canned brands.

AmyA said...

I made it last night for my chicken and rice soup and it was so easy. The only caution I would give is that the poultry seasoning is a little much for me, so I think I'm going to leave it out next time. However, if you like a hint of sage, etc. then it shouldn't be a problem. I agree with you - I would much rather use homemade any day, than use the canned because of the MSG and the like!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/weathercom/298713874092l]www.weather.com[/url]

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.