Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Stay-at-Home Saturday: How Condensed Soup Can Change Your Life

WAIT! Before you blow off this post, will you trust me? It isn't all about the joys of cream of chicken soup, I promise.

One of the greatest joys I have had as a homemaker is finding small ways to change someone else's life. That may seem a little strange, as I spend most of my time in my home with my 2 kiddos. However, being at home doesn't confine the ways I can bless others; it just encourages me to be creative with it. If you are feeling a little stuck at home, feeling like you aren't making a difference (we've ALL had days/weeks/months like that!), may I suggest a small way you can help others in need?

Thanks to couponing and shopping the sales, I am able to walk away from the grocery store almost every week with items I haven't paid for. Many times I get items that I won't use in my own kitchen. That's where the excitement of it all comes in. I have a bag in my coat closet that I fill up with just such items, and when that bag gets full, I take it to my church's food bank. Presto! I've just made a difference. Toothbrushes, cereal, pasta sauce, blood glucose monitors (seriously!) - I've donated it all. This week I combined a sale and 2 coupons to get 4 cans of high-priced condensed chicken soup for $0.60 each. I will keep two and donate two.

I challenge you to set up a paper bag in your pantry/garage/trunk/coat closet to begin collecting items for a local food bank. Even if you don't choose to coupon, you can still set the goal of buying one item each week that you can donate. Even if you buy a $1 can of sliced peaches, someone out there needs it and can use it. Start small and I promise you that you will be excited to watch your "stash" grow!

And now for the joys of condensed soup . . .

Why not save some $$ and make your own? (I realize that I just told you I bought 4 cans, but hey, I go through a lot of condensed soup!) My goal is to make batches of it and freeze in can-size proportions. However, if I'm ever stuck without it, I'll have my back-up cans! And you know what the best part is? There are no yucky little squares of dark meat chicken!

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
Courtesy of http://www.tammysrecipes.com/

Yield: 3 cups (about 2 cans)

1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt (or less, taste to test)
1/4 tsp. parsley
dash of paprika
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup flour

1. In a medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 c. milk, and the seasonings for a minute or two.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.

Love,
Amy

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am going to try this recipe, because I have some meals that require it as an ingredient, but I hate the msg, etc in the canned brands.

AmyA said...

I made it last night for my chicken and rice soup and it was so easy. The only caution I would give is that the poultry seasoning is a little much for me, so I think I'm going to leave it out next time. However, if you like a hint of sage, etc. then it shouldn't be a problem. I agree with you - I would much rather use homemade any day, than use the canned because of the MSG and the like!

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.