- If the child has an accident between the scheduled potty time, you take the child to the toilet and have them sit on it.
- Put on the wet pants and underwear (it does sound cruel, but after several times, my little guy expected it).
- Take them back to the spot they had the accident.
- At that point, tell them not to tinkle in the “kitchen” for example, but that we “tinkle” in the potty.
- Repeat this between 3 – 5 times, and change your child into dry clothing.
With Charley, we just did this 3 times. He was actually getting into this process, and would count down the trials. Don't get me wrong. The first day was horrendous. We washed, no joke, 20 pairs of McQueen and Thomas the Train underpants, as well as the soiled pants. My husband and I were exhausted. The next day was a little smoother. I’m talking maybe 10 pairs of underpants. Finally, today after 2 mistakes, he got it AND is excited and so very very proud of himself. I am so proud of him!
I know he is going to have some mistakes, but at least we are on the right track and it was well worth the time and energy. There are some more details to this process, so if you are having a difficult time with your little one in terms of potty training, email Ellen at firstname.lastname@example.org. I would love to hear from you and give you more details.
Also, we want to hear from you! Please send us other child rearing topics that you want addressed or related questions you may have. Our resident expert(s) are here to encourage you! Email them to email@example.com.