Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thrifty Thursday: More Homemade Cleaning

Last Thursday, you received a plethora of homemade cleaning recipes to cut the cost, chemicals and grime all in one. You can find that great resource here.

I wanted to mention one additional recipe that you may find handy in a pinch.

I recently overestimated my stockpile of dishwashing detergent and HAD to run my dishwasher but there was no way I was going to be able to go to the store w/in the next few hours (remember: I have a 3 year old and 1 year old twins so such outings require some planning)

I decided to see if I could find a homemade concoction without suds pouring out of my dishwasher and filling my kitchen (been there done that by using dishwashing liquid). I found a great recipe here! It worked like a charm. I wouldn't recommend for serious pot and pan grime but for your run of the mill dishwasher load, it is great! Give it a whirl.

Dishwashing Detergent Substitute

  • 1/4 teaspoon liquid dish detergent (I use Dawn)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
  • Pour into the 2 detergent cups in the dishwasher.

Also, Amy A. shared one of her fav cost and time saving tips. She said:

Our house is currently on the market so I'm often having to run through the house on an hour's notice, cleaning and straightening up. In a spray bottle I keep:
  • 1 c. water
  • 1 c. rubbing alcohol
  • 2 Tbsp. white vinegar.
I like it because I can spray counters, mirrors, faucets, toilet seats, etc. with it without having to switch cleaners.

Check out one of her favorite cleaning resources here.

Happy Thursday, ya'll. We'd love to hear how you're making it a thrifty one. :)

No comments: