Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thrifty Thursday ~ Two Financial Paths

After taking an honest look at your budget are you surprised? Maybe you're living paycheck to paycheck or have a deficit each month. You may feel that you're in a financial crisis. The important thing to remember is that God is still in control. He is not surprised by your financial situation. Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)

There are two simple paths to get out of a financial crisis:

First, look for ways to increase your income. The Bible is very clear about hard work. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might. ( Ecclesiastes 9:10) I am thankful that my mom taught me the value of work! I had three jobs to put myself through college. Then, the first year of being a stay at home mom, I worked another three jobs. I worked at the YMCA on nights/weekends, we got a paper route, and I did accounting work from home. It was not easy!!! God was faithful to provide the jobs so I did them to the best of my ability. I believe He saw this and blessed our efforts. Since then my husband has been promoted numerous times (also through hard work) and I quit the YMCA. I chose to keep the paper route and accounting job; not out of necessity but in order to save more for our future. We call them our "saving jobs" and God is blessing this too!

Second, look for ways to cut your expenses. Go line by line through your budget or bank statement and see where you can lower or eliminate a bill. Think outside the box! Take your trash to the dump instead of using a service. Downgrade your cell and cable plan. Teach yourself how to use coupons to cut your grocery bill in half! Get quotes for insurance plans. The possibilities are endless--you just have to look for them. Also, be willing to make lifestyle changes. Don't go out to eat or get your nails done if you aren't tithing and have no money in savings. Make the sacrifices now and you'll see the rewards later!

I am praying for you. I pray that the Lord will lead you to a job(s) and that He will give you wisdom on how to cut your expenses. He is faithful!

3 comments:

AmyA said...

So true! When we found out a few months ago that my husband may lose his job, we created a budget and cut out non-essentials. It was (and still is) a little painful, but we have a good-sized savings account now and are in much better shape than we were even 6 months ago. Thankfully, my husband is keeping his job, but the Lord used that time to show us where we were squandering our money.

Unknown said...

This is excellent, R! Thank you for sharing, AA!

Rebecca said...

There's some really good stuff there. Thanks for the encouragement. Since my husband is in seminary full-time, we are going with the option of cutting our expenses as much as possible!